Are you looking for cheap storage options to free up space at home or the workplace? In that case, self-storage is the solution you seek! The flexible lease terms offered by service providers enable the need for short-term and long-term storage. However, packing your belongings for short-term storage is a whole different ball game from packing up your possessions for the long term. Therefore, it is essential to learn how to pack for both scenarios. Let us outline how you can approach these situations!
Planning for short-term storage
What constitutes short-term storage? Generally, any duration covering a few days to around 3 months falls into this category. Temporary storage is exactly as its name implies: a stop-gap measure – for those moments when the extra space comes in handy. For example, when you require renovation storage to house your bulky furniture temporarily.
When it comes to planning for short-term storage, here are a few pointers to keep in mind:
1. Plastic wrap – yay or nay? In this case, we lean towards the latter since there is not much time for dust or dirt to form and settle. You do not need to go the extra mile to wrap large items, like furniture, in a coat of plastic for intensive protection just to unwrap everything shortly. Draping a large piece of cloth over them achieves the same result and is less of a hassle.
2. When it comes to short-term storage, you will likely find yourself making frequent trips to your storage unit. So do not forget to leave yourself room to manoeuvre. Preferably, an aisle in the middle of your storage unit so that you can get in and out quickly.
We recommend arranging and stacking your items and boxes against the wall to achieve this. A plastic or metal shelf helps significantly, allowing you to utilise the vertical space safely and efficiently. Remember to label your storage boxes clearly to make it easier for you to identify the items you need later.
3. Most of your possessions do not require intense packaging for short-term storage. However, anything valuable or fragile should still be safeguarded properly. In fact, they might need it more, as you will be shifting plenty of things in and out of storage. Therefore, there is a higher risk of an accident occurring. So invest in plenty of bubble wrap to protect these items and place them on a stable base so they won’t shift and be damaged.
Planning for long-term storage
If short-term storage covers any duration within 3 months, long-term storage is the inverse – any period over 3 months. Long-term storage is handy for storing items like seasonal decorations and travel gear when you need to declutter your space. So how do you plan for long-term storage? Read on to find out:
1. A rule of thumb for long-term storage: always invest in sturdy storage boxes. Paper boxes are not designed to withstand the long-term strain of storage. Instead, opt for high-quality cardboard boxes, preferably of similar sizes to make it easier to stack them. Quality, transparent plastic stacking boxes work best since you can identify the items within at a glance.
2. Like short-term storage, you want to treat your fragile and valuable items well. Individually wrap these belongings in bubble wrap and/or kraft paper and label their boxes accordingly. You may want to stow them away from the rest of your possessions to avoid damaging them accidentally while shifting your belongings around.
3. Remember to seal any clothes or fabrics. Vacuum-sealed bags are ideal for storing these items, as they prevent moisture from accumulating within, leading to the growth of mould and mildew.
4. If you plan on storing any appliance long-term, we recommend cleaning them thoroughly before stowing them away. Use baking soda or bleach to wipe down the object to eradicate bacteria. Doing so helps minimise mould forming and spreading to your other belongings during storage.
Lastly, it is always a good idea to label everything clearly regardless of your storage needs. You can also consider maintaining an inventory list of every possession in your storage unit so that you can find any item easily.
Whether you seek short or long-term storage, Work+Store has you covered! We provide affordable and easy storage to help today’s busy urbanites live and work better. We have multiple storage facilities located across Singapore, so you are sure to find a convenient storage rental near you. Contact us today to learn more about our prices and services.